What is the best breakfast choice if you are trying to lose weight? Should you choose the poached eggs on toast or a bowl of natural muesli to start your day?
Breakfast is important as it kick starts your metabolism after a period of fasting at night, it literally means breaking the fast. 1 in 5 Australian adults skip breakfast, making it the most commonly skipped meal of the day. Skipping breakfast is related to unhealthy lifestyle habits and can make you more likely to snack on unhealthy options throughout the day as you start to feel lethargic.
People who eat breakfast have a healthier weight and more nutritious diets than people who skip breakfast. Research shows that eating any variety of breakfast is beneficial regardless of which breakfast option you choose.
But not all breakfasts are created equal. For example some options are coated with chocolate, laden with sugar and full of artificial additives (closer to confectionary than an everyday breakfast choice) whereas other choices add valuable nutrients, kick start your vegie target for the day (you should aim for 5 serves), pack a protein punch to keep you fuller for longer, contain a low GI source of carbohydrates and a serve of fibre.
When choosing a breakfast option have a think about what is in your food. If your breakfast of choice comes in a packet have a look at the ingredients list. If sugar, fat or salt are listed in the top 3 ingredients put it back on the shelf. Consider what is in your breakfast and ask yourself some questions?
- Does it contain vegetables or fruit? Perhaps it is a cooked breakfast loaded with mushrooms and spinach or a natural muesli or porridge topped with berries.
- Does it contain enough protein? This may be from milk added to muesli, eggs, beans or legumes.
- Is it a good source of fibre? If it’s from a packet look for over 3g of fibre per serve or perhaps it contains wholegrain carbohydrates, beans or chickpeas.
- Does it contain a source of calcium? Breakfast is a great time to add a source of calcium to your day. This may be from milk, cheeses or yoghurts added to breakfast choices.
So to answer the question start your day the best possible way by choosing wholesome and nutritious breakfast options that will give you energy that lasts. Starting the day the right way also helps you to choose healthier options as the day goes on. So should you choose the poached eggs or the natural muesli? The choice is all yours.
* Disclaimer: Content originally published on 12WBT.com